Leagues Played May - August
Simply Social Leagues: Our standard, super fun 6 vs 6 coed social league that anyone can join.
Singles Leagues: All players are single and ready to mingle! Played 6 vs 6, half guys half girls.
Full teams join all the time, plus we create free agent teams in each coed league that include other players around the same age. These teams aren’t made until all spots are filled, so sign up and request to play with friends while there’s space! Then you’re guaranteed to play together. Or join solo! That’s common too.
As an independently run and locally focused league organization, we’re proud to offer the cheapest team prices in Chicago while still providing the best overall league experience! Our full team fees are $200-$350 less for a season than other leagues out there. Free agent players save $25-$40 too!
We pride ourselves in running the most organized & SOCIAL leagues that you’ll ever play in. And we’re the ONLY leagues where after games ALL teams walk to the same nearby bar for post-game parties and exclusive specials!
What People Are Saying
- Quinn Myers
Been playing S3 summer and fall softball for ~7 years now and every one has been great. The league is super organized and management is very accessible and prompt at answering questions, helping out, etc. Unlike other leagues, S3 is a perfect mix of competitive and fun -- 99% of people who play S3 are good people and the league feels more like a family than some giant faceless softball corporation.
- Sophia Kassam
Highly recommend! Not knowing anyone in Chicago when I first moved, this was the best way to meet people. I joined a random kickball team in 2016 and today those people are still some of my best friends!
- MaryClaire Cieply
S3 is a great league! It is inexpensive, and Ben has been more than accommodating and flexible in helping with getting my teams signed up every year. Solid competition, and you can't beat the bar deals--no other league I've played in offers them!
- Mark Elg
I have been playing in S3 Leagues for a few years. A number of different sports during different times of the year. Always a fun way to stay active with sports and meet new people. They also do a tubing float trip a couple times during the summer and that is a blast! If you’re new to the city, enjoy playing sports, and want to meet new people who share that interest, definitely give S3 Leagues a chance!!
- Cash DeWitt
Joining S3, Simply Sport and Social, has been a great way to grow my community in Chicago.I've been in Chicago for 4 years and have played sports my whole life, but found most other sports leagues here to be more exclusionary. I would rarely hang out with my teammates outside of games and rarely found other events hosted by those leagues to be very fun.When I found S3, I signed up because the times and locations were convenient to my schedule. The BIG difference between S3 and other leagues is the people. I quickly developed friendships with my teammates and competitors and have since gone on to develop great relationships with these people. Where as other leagues could often feel exclusionary S3 feels inclusive. I still have a great time with playing the sports (volleyball, kickball) with some nights being very competitive. At the end of the night we all go to the bars to hang out having a great time laughing about the games. Also I have done many of the other activities such as float trips in the summer which are fun and relaxing.Ben the organizer of S3 is very organized and friendly which just adds to the experience.
Join S3 to find out why we are "More than just a league"!
Countless new friendships, relationships, champions & great memories made --- plus tons of S3 weddings and babies!
S3 by the numbers
Every league crazy fun, every time.
How We Play Beach Volleyball
Some more about how we get our beach volley on!
- Each team consists of no more than 6 players on the court at one time (maximum of 3 males). A team may play with a minimum of 3 players, but in this situation must have at least 1 of each gender.
- Matches consist of 2 games to 21 (cap at 23) and a third game to 15 (cap at 17). Teams must win by 2.
- Teams will have 50 minutes to play 1 match (3 games). All 3 games will be played each night and count toward your record for the season.
- All games will play using Rally Scoring Rules. This means that your team scores on every point won whether or not you were serving.
- Games will be self-reffed. Players will make their own in/out/etc calls during the game. Please be honest. This is just a fun league!
Beginning of Games
5. A defensive block does not count as one of the allowable contacts. A player may reach over the net to block a ball if: a. Any portion of the ball breaks the plane of the net or b. After the offense has come in contact with the ball on the third attempt.
6. The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open hand. Guiding, carrying or lifting is illegal. A carry or lift is any use of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner.
7. Out of bounds is the area outside the rope line laid down around the court. Balls that land on the rope line are in bounds.
8. The ball can contact any number of body parts down to, and including the foot.
All games will be self-reffed
Game Play & Playoffs
If you do not meet the minimum team requirements (3 players total), the first game will be forfeited 10 minutes after start time. Entire Match will be forfeited at 20 minutes after start time. Subbing is allowed in between points. All subs must be made in a consistent manner throughout a game (players coming in and out at one spot on the court). Traditional subbing rules will not be followed, as long as the team does not gain an unfair advantage from a type of substitution.
First Offense: 10-0 loss of game and warning issued.
Second Offense: 10-0 loss of second game and S3 reserves the right to remove team from the league or playoffs with no refund for games not played.
Third Offense: Automatic removal from the league with no refund for games not played.
The reason for the harshness of this is because we want all teams to be able to play. If your team is a no-show, then the other team also doesn’t get to play, and that’s not cool. So just get subs or at least let us know if you’re not going to make it!
If you know in advance that your team will be forfeiting a match, you are required to email us at email@example.com so we can let your opponent know that you won’t be showing up.