How We Play Indoor Volleyball
Some more about how we get our volley on!
- Each team consists of no more than 6 players on the court at one time (maximum of 3 males). A team may play with a minimum of 3 players (2 males max).
- Matches consist of 2 games to 21 (cap at 23) and a third game to 15 (cap at 17). Teams must win by 2.
- Teams will have 50 minutes to play 1 match (3 games). All 3 games will be played each night because they all count towards your record.
- All games will play using Rally Scoring Rules. This means that your team scores on every point won whether or not you were serving.
- Games will be self-reffed. Players will make their own in/out/etc calls during the game. Please be honest. This is just a fun league!
Beginning of Games
3. A legal serve is one that crosses the net and is either touched by an opposing player or lands within the opposing team’s area of the court within the boundary lines. A serve that makes contact with the net and carries over to the opponent’s side of the net is a live serve and must be returned.
4. The serve may not be blocked or spiked, but setting the serve is legal as long as the ball is not caught or carried.
6. Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is NOT a violation.
8. The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open hand. Guiding, carrying or lifting is illegal. A carry or lift is any use of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner.
Teams may use fill-in players during the regular season to field a full team of 6 players, but subs are not allowed unless you need them to field this full team. As always, do not bring “ringers” to games in an effort to smoke the competition. We’re here to have a good time remember?
Fill-in players will NOT be allowed during playoffs, except for extenuating circumstances in which case the team captain must email us to explain why subs will be needed and ask for approval.
First Offense: 10-0 loss of game and warning issued.
Second Offense: 10-0 loss of second game and S3 reserves the right to remove team from the league or playoffs with no refund for games not played.
Third Offense: Automatic removal from the league with no refund for games not played.
The reason for the harshness of this is because we want all teams to be able to play. If your team is a no-show, then the other team also doesn’t get to play, and that’s not cool. So just get subs or at least let us know if you’re not going to make it!
If you know in advance that your team will be forfeiting a match, you are required to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can let your opponent know that you won’t be showing up.