The Official S3 Sets on the Beach Volleyball Tournament Rules & How We Play
AKA "how we get our volley on" (rain or shine!)
~ This tournament is run double match elimination, so you've gotta lose two full matches in order to be knocked out. A match consists of 3 games, but the third game will only be played if no team wins the first 2 matches.
~ Before starting the tournament, teams will draw for bracket placement at the courts that day.
~ Each team consists of no more than 6 players on the court at one time (maximum of 3 males, no limit on girls).
A team may play with as few as 3 players on the court and as many as 6.
~ Matches consist of 3 games to 21. Team must win by 2 and there is a cap at 25 points.
~ All games will play using Rally Scoring Rules. This means that your team scores on every point won whether or not you were serving.
~ Games will be self-reffed. Players will make their own in/out/etc calls during the game. Please be honest. There will be a tournament observer there to make sure teams are being fair and to oversee all games.
- To start the match, teams will send a representative to the net to do rock, paper, scissors to pick sides. Best 2 out of 3. Winner of this gets to pick sides. The team that loses this can either elect to serve or allow the other team to serve.
- Players may play in any position at any time that they'd like but must rotate between server so that each player serves an equal amount of times. There are no rules/restrictions about subbing in and out during the game.
- A legal serve is one that crosses the net and is either touched by an opposing player or lands within the opposing team’s area of the court within the boundary lines. A serve that makes contact with the net and carries over to the opponent’s side of the net is a live serve and must be returned.
- The serve may not be blocked or spiked, but setting the serve is legal as long as the ball is not caught or carried.
- A defensive block does not count as one of the allowable contacts. A player may reach over the net to block a ball if: a. Any portion of the ball breaks the plane of the net or b. After the offense has come in contact with the ball on the third attempt.
- The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open hand. Guiding, carrying or lifting is illegal. A carry or lift is any use of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner.
- Out of bounds is the area outside the rope line laid down around the court. Balls that land on the rope line are in bounds.
- The ball can contact any number of body parts down to, and including the foot.
The most important thing to remember is that the idea of this tournament is to have fun. So while we do understand this is justifiably going to be a competitive tournament, we hope that all participants keep that in mind when becoming involved. Although the games may become intense, you still can be competitive while maintaining good sportsmanship. With this said, any behavior deemed unacceptable by staff may result in suspension and/or ejection from the tournament. S3 reserves the right to remove a player or team from the tourney if they are not participating with integrity and good sportsmanship. We don't expect any problems like this at all but we wanted to make sure to throw it out there! :)
That's it! Register your team and get ready for glory!!